- Help welcome a resident/family into our Transitional Shelter with a move in basket.
- Create a laundry basket filled with sheets, pillows, cleaning supplies, and household items.
Adopt – A – Graduating Family/Resident
- Mercy House would like to start recognizing the accomplishments of its residents once they have graduated from the program by providing them with a parting gift through donations from the community.
- Collect and put together a parting gift ranging from $25-50. Gifts idea: gift basket with cleaning supplies, laundry basket with laundry supplies, gift certificates to grocery stores, decorative items for their new homes, etc.
Host BBQ/Holiday Parties
- If your group is interested in organizing a BBQ or a holiday dinner for the residents living in our transitional shelters we can arrange for that to take place. This is an opportunity for volunteers to interact with our clients and also an opportunity for our residents to work on their social skills (15 Volunteers Max).
- BBQ’s typically take place on the weekends, so that the majority of the resident’s can attend.
- We have three shelters in Santa Ana (Regina House for women & children – 7 moms & their children, Joseph House – 20 single men & Emmanuel House – 21 single adults living with HIV/AIDS). BBQ’s and Holiday parties typically have about 10-15 residents in attendance due to work schedules and school.
- We are also looking for volunteers to organize holiday parties for the clients at our Wakeland Properties (8 Volunteers Max).
Shelter Cleanings, Gardening & Maintenance
- We like to do shelter cleanings of all of our shelters every 6 months & before our Holiday dinners (15 volunteers max).
- Painting, Yard Maintenance, and construction type work are needed on an as needed basis.
Assemble Hygiene Kits
- Volunteers can assemble hygiene kits that will be passed out at our Emergency Walk-in Center for individuals who are living on the streets or who are low income.
- Volunteers need to collect the supplies and can make up to 1000 hygiene kits that will be used at both our Santa Ana and Ontario Walk-in Centers. This will last our centers at least 3-6 months.
- The sack (Brown Lunch Bag Type or zip lock) can consists of a variety of items, such as, toothbrush, toothpaste, soap, shampoo, comb, socks, lip balm, baby wipes, etc.
Host a Back-Pack Drive
- Host a back-pack drive and collect school supplies, backpacks, stationary, etc. Plan a day to fill the back-packs and deliver them to the children during their tutoring hour.
Assemble Sack Lunches
- Seasonal: December-March
- We are in need of individuals and groups to make sack lunches for the homeless people we serve. Suggested items to include in the bags: peanut butter and jelly sandwiches or cup-o-noodle soup, a fruit or veggie, a water bottle or juice, and a sweet treat.
Armory Emergency Shelter Volunteer
- Seasonal: December-March
- The Armory program provides up to 400 beds per night for the homeless in Fullerton and Santa Ana. Volunteers will be needed 7 days per week to help both in the evening (5:30-8:30pm) and morning hours (5-7am).
- Santa Ana Armory: Volunteers must be 10 years or older and accompanied by a serving parent or guarding if under 18 years old.
- Fullerton Armory: Volunteers must be 18 years or older to serve.
- Go to the Mercy House Volunteer Up home page at http://www.volunteerup.com/Login.asp?w=i&o=130
- Volunteers will be assisting with set-up, clean-up, passing meals and donations.
- Volunteers are also needed to provide dinners on a nightly basis. Dinners must feed 200 clients and must contain a Meat, Starch, and Vegetable. Dessert is optional.
Contact Community Resource Coordinator, Irene Drissen, at email@example.com to volunteer!